Monday, January 01, 2007

Macaroon Madness

What better way to start a new year, or a new blog, than with the ultimate recipe?!? I've been pushing this recipe on friends since discovering the delight of making these coconut cookie concoctions.

It's possibly the easiest and tastiest way to find your way to a sweet baker high (much like Sweet Valley High, but without all the drama and peroxide)- I made it today for the significant-other-inlaws (a double recipe) and there remain but a few crumbs- after the chocolate coma of the holidays, I opted to leave out my favorite final detail of drizzeling melted chocolate.

Coconut Macaroons

Makes 16
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1. Set the oven at 325 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with waxed paper.
2. In an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
3. Add the vanilla and sugar. Continue beating until stiff.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a large rubber spatula, fold in the coconut.
5. With a soup spoon, drop the macaroons in 1 1/2-inch balls, about 1 inch apart.
6. Bake the cookies for 25 minutes. Cool on the sheets.

5 comments:

Jane said...

I am going to have to try these. My macaroons fell flat the last time I made them. BTW I found you through Hot Dish. Have fun blogging!

eviedee said...

Hooray!!!!! Welcome friend! (I have been obsessively checking this site for WEEKS now, glad you decided to blog!)

eviedee said...

Nice Mary Baker Eddy reference, I don't hear many of those these days!

mary mary said...

Jane - Thanks for checking out the blog! Hotdish is truly an inspiration - Eviedee happens to be the holder of the finest sugar cookie on earth - perhaps we can persuade her to share... (hint-hint - guilt-guilt)

Evidee - I agree, too few Mary Baker Eddy references these days - I plan on changing that! Share the damn sugar cookie recipe!

eviedee said...

Recipe delivered!